Wednesday, June 21, 2006

7 Shot Screamers - I Was a Teenage 7 Shot Screamer

The 7 Shot Screamers are a punk rockabilly band out of St. Louis. I'm including them in my Tuesday night series of "local" bands because, well, because I can and I figure it's close enough.

I first saw the 7 Shot Screamers opening for Split Lip Rayfield a couple years ago. Honestly, I don't always expect much from the first of a three-band bill, but on this occasion I was rather surprised. In fact, I have to say these guys blew away the middle band whose mediocre country-rock sent me looking for a copy of Pitch and left me forgetful of their name.

The Screamers, although appearing as clean-cut, greased up rockabillies on their album cover, have a more glam look these days. The lead singer also engages heavily in glam histrionics, but don't let this turn you off; their music is sharp punk rockabilly reminiscent of the more '50s oriented numbers by the Clash. This album features mostly originals, but also several covers, including the one-two punch of Buddy Holly's "Maybe Baby" and the Stones' "Paint It Black" halfway through the album.

Check out some downloadable songs from their second album on their myspace page.

Listen:
7 Shot Screamers - War Song

Buy:
From mp3.com

No comments: