Sunday, January 20, 2008

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier! Horse Soldier!

Corb Lund is obsessed with horses. I’m not sure if every song on this album mentions them, but even “Student Visas,” a haunting song about a US soldier’s experience as a CIA aide to the Nicaraguan Contras, calls upon the soldier’s family heritage in the cavalry, connecting his injury in a shot-down helicopter to the helicopter’s replacement of the horse in some US Army cavalry units. But the horse theme, or perhaps more specifically a cavalry theme, runs throughout the disc.



I don’t know Corb Lund’s personal history with horses—whether he’s a horseman or not—and I’m not trying to question his “authenticity” if he isn’t. His songwriting shows a longing for the the history and freedom symbolized by the horse that I, as someone who cannot ride and wishes he could, find compelling. “Whenever I see horses, it reminds me of what I ain’t. . . . Whenever I see horses, I see a path I did not take.”



Listen:

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier



Watch:

Corb Lund - I Wanna Be In The Cavalry



Buy:

From CD Baby

8 comments:

Andrew said...

That was a great album - really fun to listen to.

Anonymous said...

I've turned a bunch of folks onto these guys here in Virginia. A horsewoman that I know listened to "Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier" 20 times in a row. Literally. Great songwriter and band.

Jamie
Charlottesville

Anonymous said...

He is authentic:

Corb Lund's roots run deep at the Calgary Stampede. He is the son of D.C. Lund, a former bronc rider and steer wrestler, and Patti Ivins, a two-time Calgary Stampede barrel racing champion.

"Both sides of my family, the Lunds and the Ivinses have been in Alberta punching cows, breaking horses, ranching and rodeoing for four generations from back when it was still the Northwest Territories at the beginning of the last century, and before that, down in Utah," Lund says in the liner notes for his third solo disc Five Dollar Bill.

He says the highlight of his junior rodeo career was competing at the Calgary Stampede in 1981. The day before, while practising at the family ranch near Lethbridge, a steer he was riding bucked him off and stomped on his head.

Joel T. Luber said...

Like I said, I wasn't trying to question his authenticity; I just felt that it was better to point out that this horse-themed album should be of interest to people who haven't lived the life of a horseman (like me), and I organized my post with that in mind.

Thanks for letting us know about Corb's family history, though. Much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

all music is now free !!!We are building wyplanet on friendship and music. Wyplanet beta site launches in a few days sign up for a free beta account today and become a part of our neighborhood. www.wyplanet.com

free music downloads

Anonymous said...

I heard Horse Soldier on sirius radio yesterday, around 4:30 channel 94, I've been hooked and had to order the album. Props to Raji the DJ who played it, now i'm making my family listen (we have a dairy and horse farm). Great band and i've been watching some of his interviews on youtube. He carries a weight and insight like Rodgers, Nelson, Cash, and a true country feel like Mongomery Gentry. It is a refreshing change to the churned out hack-work of much of todays pop-country. folk roots are timeless -Boyanowski

The Old Man and His Dog said...

Corb Lund-Hair in my eyes like a highland steer is also an awesome CD. Check out track 8-The Truth comes out.

Anonymous said...

NO BRASIL, A NOVA REVELAÇÃO COUNTRY IDEALIZADO PELO PADRINHO BETO CARRERO, O REI DO ENTRETENIMENTO E ETERNO COWBOY é A LINDISSIMA "VIRGINIA DE MAURO a LULLY" FAZENDO GRANDE SUCESSO PARA NOVA GERAÇÃO DEFENDENDO O GENERO MUSICAL.
Visitem YOUTUBE sessão TRAPINHAS e ASSISTAM