Friday, July 21, 2006

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - Nothing But the Water

When I first got this CD by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals in the mail, I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to the scope of what I review. But after several listens, I've decided that not only is it appropriate, but that it actually highlights the cross-generic interplay which I really like and which I feel is vital to so-called roots music.

After listening to this album three times through, I'm still having trouble deciding what genre I would classify the album as. It ranges in influence from the searing vocals of Janis Joplin, to the roots funk of the Band, to the soft and smooth vocals of Norah Jones, to the (almost annoyingly) catchy pop-funk of Maroon 5. While several songs combine many influences, several are also more easily discernible as a specific genre. The album hangs together remarkably well, though, having such a variety of style incorporated.

I think the song I'm including does a good job of showing the breadth of influence. The main guitar riff is Delta blues by way of Dire Straits era Mark Knopfler; the organ almost takes us to church; and the drummer doesn't refuse to use the fundamental drumming he learned in marching band.

Listen:
Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - Joey

Buy:
From Amazon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The title kind of reminds me of Johnny Cash's 6 Ft. High and Rising. I wonder if this artist considers Johnny Cash to be a significant influence. Speaking of Johnny Cash, have any of you heard Cash V? If not, I'd recommend it. I liked it enough to write this song about it and about Johnny Cash:

Here’s to 100 Highways
Words and music by Dr. BLT ©2006
http://www.drblt.net/music/ahundredhi.mp3

If you’ve never read my story about playing Johnny Cash songs for inmates as a prison shrink, check it out here:

Six-string Therapy
http://www.tollbooth.org/2003/features/jcash.html


http://www.drblt.net

Bruce, aka Dr. BLT
The World's First Blog n Roll Artist